“Our Embassy greeted the Americans as they crossed the border into the third country,” the official told CNN.
The official confirmed that these are the first four Americans that “we’ve facilitated in this manner” since the withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan.
Reporters traveling with Secretary of State Tony Blinken were told Monday that the Americans “were in good condition” and that the Taliban was aware of their departure and did not impede it.
The Taliban has given assurances that foreigners and Afghans with the appropriate travel documents will be allowed to leave the country.
“We are going to find ways to get them — the ones that want to leave — to get them out of Afghanistan. We know many of them have family members, many of them want to stay, but the ones that want to leave, we’re going to get them out,” Klain said on “State of the Union.”
State Department spokesperson Ned Price said last week that the department was “not in a position to speak in any great detail about” the overland routes, adding “but I think it reinforces the point that we are looking at all available options to bring Americans to safety who wish to depart Afghanistan.”
Last week, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said the US military and allies evacuated 6,000 American citizens and a “total of more than 124,000 civilians” from Afghanistan over the course of a few weeks after the Taliban took control of the country.